[C320-list] Dutchman system

Wed Mar 12 09:43:12 PDT 2008

I was not commenting on the relative performance merits of the lazy jack
system, my comment was that one should never say "I'm a cruiser and not a
racer so  therefore I don't worry too much about performance"....my
feeling is if you sail, you should want to make your boat perform
optimally at all times and never give in to a "cruiser mentality" where
slower is ok...Even if I go out for a daysail, and I see Bellezza, Spring
Fever, Sueleen Too or any other sailing buddy, as far as I'm concerned,
the race is on!! :) That mentality is really what has kept all of us
competitive in races and also given us the ability to know what makes our
respective boats go fast...or not! :)

cuba libre 3 is essentially a cruising boat but my co-skipper and I have
spent the last couple of evening discussing the merits of purchasing
either a Spectra w/ Kevlar tape UK sail or a Quantum Fusion-M 135%
genoa...why, because when we leave for our 10-year cruise, we want to go
as fast as possible from port-to-port...so the question we ask is this, is
$6,500 for either of these two sails worth it? Answer, hell yes!! and so
it goes...

Now, I started looking at asym spin furlers + a UK Flasher to go on it =
$2,000 for the furler + $3,400 for a UK Matrix Asym Flasher---the madness
never ends does it? :)

cuba libre 3

             <crashley at gte.ne
             t>
             Sent by:                                                  To
             c320-list-bounce         <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
             s at lists.catalina                                          cc
             320.com
                                                                  Subject
                                      Re: [C320-list] Dutchman system
             03/12/2008 06:29
             AM

              Please respond
             C320-List at Catali
                na320.com

OD,

So does a lazy jack impact performance? It's still a fully battened sail
but
I though the permanent sail cover might be an issue.

CRA
Rosebud #882