[C320-list] boomvang

Thu Mar 20 13:12:01 PDT 2008

This was a problem with some of the early model 440 (#1-20 or so), what they did is to install a 'backing plate' inside the mast and attach the bracket to that using thru-bolts...
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "Darrell" [dgray at n-sea.org]
Sent: 03/20/2008 05:04 AM
To: <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] boomvang

We were out sailing in some pretty windy weather recently and upon return to
port I noticed a lot of play in the mast end of the rigid boom vang. Upon
further inspection, I found the aluminum bracket that attaches the rigid
boomvang to the mast was cracked into 2 pieces. It is still riveted to the
mast and I plan to remove it buy drilling out the rivets tonight. Assuming I
can get another bracket from Catalina or another source, my question is
whether it needs to be reattached with rivets or can it be screwed on. Is
there a risk of hitting any wiring. I know the wiring in the mast travels in
channels but I cannot remember if the channels are on the bow side or
sternside of the mast. Also, should I use machine screws and tap the holes.
Any problems with using stainless steel screws on an aluminum mast. I
imagine I would want to use a sealer or lanacote at a minimum. Any ideas
would be appreciated,

Darrell, #88