[C320-list] boomvang

Darrell dgray at n-sea.org
Thu Mar 20 05:04:20 PDT 2008

We were out sailing in some pretty windy weather recently and upon return to
port I noticed a lot of play in the mast end of the rigid boom vang. Upon
further inspection, I found the aluminum bracket that attaches the rigid
boomvang to the mast was cracked into 2 pieces. It is still riveted to the
mast and I plan to remove it buy drilling out the rivets tonight. Assuming I
can get another bracket from Catalina or another source, my question is
whether it needs to be reattached with rivets or can it be screwed on. Is
there a risk of hitting any wiring. I know the wiring in the mast travels in
channels but I cannot remember if the channels are on the bow side or
sternside of the mast. Also, should I use machine screws and tap the holes.
Any problems with using stainless steel screws on an aluminum mast. I
imagine I would want to use a sealer or lanacote at a minimum. Any ideas
would be appreciated,

Darrell, #88