[C320-list] ST 4000 autohelm problem

Gene Musante gmusante at msn.com
Sat May 17 04:04:50 PDT 2008

Hi,

I mounted up my boat's wheel for the season and connected the servo motor to it's electrical connection on the pedistal.  When I switched the power on, my power kept switching off and on at about a 1 second frequency on the autohelm display and my tri-data display.  My GPS, which is connected to the same power feed was having the same problem.  I disconnected the servo motor electrical connector, and the power came on and stayed on.

My hunch is that the servo motor may be defective, but it was working fine in the fall before I dismounted the wheel, which I store inside the boat.  I am going to dismount the wheel and re-assemble the whole works to see if this could have been caused by a mechanical problem.  I forgot that the wheel lock was on when I first switched on the power which may have caused the problem initially.

Has anybody seen this problem on their boat?Gene Musante  617-755-0680  gmusante at msn.comAFFINITY Hull #68