[C320-list] One sail only?

Dave Rabinowitz windchill320 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:51:08 PDT 2008

We were out yesterday on LI Sound with some pretty goods winds (steady 20,
gusts 27+), just sailing around.  I used full main only (probably would have
been better with reefed main) instead of jib, as sunbathers were out on the
bow.  Assuming no folks up on the bow, and maybe single-handing, what do
folks prefer when the "one sail only feeling" strikes..main or jib?  I
learned main only, but some have suggested the jib is the better single-sail
choice.....does it matter, structurally, performance, or ease of running the
boat?

thanks for your advice...
dave
Wind Chill #445