[C320-list] Main Halyard

hcreech at comcast.net hcreech at comcast.net
Mon May 5 15:11:23 PDT 2008

Years ago when my main halyard broke because the wrong type shakle was attached to it and eventually cut through.  I was new to this stuff and did not know any better .  A buddy and I replaced it.  One of us went topside and dropped the end of the halyard from the top of the mast so we could mark it  by dropping it down the outside of the mast and then marking the length where it would be just below the access holes where the halyard exits the mast.  We then attached fishing weights to the end that would be coming down the mast.  We dropped the weighed end until we came to the mark then fished it out with a coat hanger.  It took several tries but was not as hard as I thought it would be, but it did require two people.
Sincerely,
Herb Creech
Cloud Chaser #606

From: "Charles Greenwell" <CGreenwell at sparusa.com>