[C320-list] Maximum Stop to Stop Wheel Turn Capability

Monte B. mjbc60 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 18 17:39:10 PDT 2008

Bill,

This is an old lever and fulcrum problem and the net, net is, as you have
already guessed, one size doesn't fit all. On the early boats the clamp
attached to the rudder post will have to be longer to slow the rod travel
and not exceed the sensor travel. On my boat, I mounted the rod to the
rudder bellcrank and had to mount it almost at the outer edge of the
bellcrank  so the rudder stops were the limits as opposed to the sensor
which would break. My mount is on a .025 aluminum bracket that I fabricated
and has a small amount of give so that as things move there is some
tolerance to an imperfect bellcrank, sensor geometry. My boat is a 2 turn
lock to lock and I suspect if you used an old boat mount on a new boat all
you would lose is the last few degrees of travel indication which I suspect
few would miss. If it works on the old boats it should work on the new ones
with no loss of performance in it's true function.

Monte
Laima #620