[C320-list] Cleaning Holding Tanks

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:37:24 PST 2008

For what it's worth, here is the recipe we've been using for flushing the
holding tank for Winter lay-up. We think it is very effective as the last
flush is quite clear.

Warren & Pattie Updike

Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"

Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Holding Tank Recipe

Ingredients:

      2C Calgon Water Softener (liquid)

      1C liquid laundry detergent

Add two cups water softener in 1 gal. hot water. Pour/pump mixture into
tank. Add one cup detergent to 1 gal. hot water. Pour/pump mixture into
tank.

Let sit for several then top off tank with fresh (hot if possible,) water,
and let sit for a few more hours. Even better to sail with the tank full to
thoroughly agitate the mixture in the tank. Pump out and rinse/pump with
fresh water.

Tip:  Rec. vehicle stores may carry a wand that attaches to a hose to
provide a high pressure spray. Use this in the inspection port of the tank
then rinse/pump again with fresh water.