[C320-list] a/c winterizing

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Tue Nov 4 03:52:15 PST 2008

Jamie - For engine winterizing, I cut the intake hose midway between the
strainer and the heat exchanger.  I installed a 3 way valve in-line.
Obviously, when the valve is in the "open" position, the flow is from the
seacock to the heat exchanger.  When in the "closed" position, the flow is
from a 3-foot hose installed on the third barb of the 3-way to the heat
exchanger.  The 3-foot hose ends in a bucket filled with 2 gallons of pink
stuff.  I turn on the engine and when pink is flowing out the exhaust (or
the bucket is empty), the engine is winterized.  The entire process takes
maybe 3 minutes and, if I get a particularly warm day in the winter, I can
go sailing, return, and re-winterize in minutes without assist.

The A/C is more of a challenge, at least for me.  I installed a 3-way bronze
T-piece at the top of the thru hull.  One end of the T goes to the thru hull
and the other to the hose that goes to the pump (no strainer is recommended
on the Chesapeake Bay).  The 3rd end of the T has a bronze threaded cap
installed with liberal amounts of plumbers tape around the threads.  I take
a 2-foot section of CLEAR plastic hose and install a threaded male
connection that will screw into the top of the 3rd end of the T with the
bronze cap removed.  Using a funnel, I pour pink stuff into the CLEAR
plastic hose (needs to be clear so you don't overfill) until the pick stuff
is about 2 inches from the top of the hose.  Taking a deep breath, I blow
the pink stuff through the system.  I do this 5-6 times or so until my able
bodied assistant tells me that pink stuff is coming out of the A/C exhaust
(haven't figured out how to do this without help unless I just keep blowing
pink stuff through the system 10 or so times; fortunately, with 6 grandsons,
I can always find one who will go with me for this part!).  I know this
"system" is awkward but it beats the heck out of trying to get that short
piece of hose on and off each winter.  And it does work.

Hope this helps.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD