[C320-list] GPS Installation

Dave Rabinowitz windchill320 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 09:11:12 PST 2008

Previous owner (or dealer) drilled a small hole in the plastic white
instrument holder already on the pedestal.  the hole was underneath, and
grommeted, minimizing the potential for water intrusion...I suppose you
could add some clear silicon caulk for good measure.  the advantage is that
power and NMEA autopilot feed from the gps, all attach within the pedestal
instrument cluster (the NMEA to the autopilot head).

originally it was for an old, Garmin GPS12, I believe. I bought a GPSMAP76s,
another small handheld which fortunately used the same cable.  i've upgraded
to a GPSMAP 478, and just replaced the cable, but used the same grommet and
cable routing.

You didn't mention which type of GPS you were putting in.  I guess the
smaller handheld type ones represent a negligible power load, but the bigger
ones might present a power issue, depending on what else you have at the
pedestal.

The GPS' with built in batteries are a nice backup, so if you lose pedestal
power, you still have nav capability with speed, heading, etc...

dave
Wind Chill #445