[C320-list] Normal Performance Limits?

Monte B. mjbc60 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 4 06:32:22 PDT 2008

I have owned mine since new in 1999 and have accumulated about 750 engine
hours. For most of those hours I ran it very conservatively at 2500 RPM's
and not quite 6 knots. After reading the posts about exhaust elbow coking, I
pulled my ex. mixing elbow and found it to be quite coked but nowhere near
plugged as some have reported. I now run it at 3000 and it is actually
smoother at that RPM and obviously faster at the expense of a higher fuel
burn. I think Yanmar calls for max RPM of 3600 and max continuous of 3400. I
have come to believe that diesel's like to work near their design load limit
and at lower RPM and load tend to run rich and the lower exhaust gas
temperatures cause exhaust component coking. I don't know how they avoid
this with automobile diesel engines but they are not designed to be
continuous duty cycle as these small industrial and marine engines are.

Monte
Laima #620