[C320-list] Mainsail Hard to Raise/Lower

Tue Oct 14 10:02:28 PDT 2008

David,

Vendor changes are usually not associated with conspiracy theories...in engines alone, the 320 has been equipped with Perkins, Westerbeke and Yanmars...on cuba libre 2--#112, I thought the Perkins was a fantastic engine---it's all about margins on boatbuilding...vendors fall over each other to get their equipment spec'ed on boats by builders like Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau...

As a builder, you get some huge economies of scale by using as many of the same types of products across your product line...

Every few years, everyone changes preferred vendor, it's all about cost accounting...

----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "Henderson, David" [dhender at allstate.com]
Sent: 10/14/2008 09:45 AM
To: <c320-list at lists.catalina320.com>
Subject: [C320-list] Mainsail Hard to Raise/Lower

First of all, to Bob, I will indeed be sure to pass along anything I
learn from Charleston Spar, Catalina, etc.

I also thought some of you might appreciate the irony of the story of
why I have an in-mast system.  When I purchased (ordered) my 320 at the
Boston Boat Show in Feb. 2005, my intention was to order a regular mast
with the Dutchman system.  However, at the time, Catalina was offering a
"boat show special" which included a couple of freebies, including free
mainsail furling, if you bought at the show.  My broker and his boss
tag-teamed on me to convince me that I would be foolish not to take
advantage of the offer.   Regrettably, I went along with their advice.

Finally, to Dennis, I appreciate your input.  My plan is to give my
broker a day or two to see what he can do for me.  But then, if I am not
satisfied with his progress, I will certainly go directly to Charleston
Spar myself, and then Catalina too if need be.

I also had previously given a lot of thought to your point about all of
the other Charleston Spar in-mast systems that have been in use on lots
of other 320's.  I admit that I have never seen this issue referenced on
this site before; and that is exactly the reason for my original post
about this problem  - to see if I could draw out any others who may also
have experienced it.  We'll see.  Maybe I am unique.  But if I were a
cynical person, I sure might wonder about the switch to Selden with the
Mark II.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave
Dottie B   #1049