[C320-list] Mainsail Hard to Raise/Lower

Henderson, David dhender at allstate.com
Mon Oct 27 14:21:25 PDT 2008

Bob, Since my last post on this problem I have been mired in a lot of
delays and back and forth between the broker that sold me the boat,
Charleston Spar, and Charleston Spar's rigger here in Greater Boston (he
is not officially a CS dealer, but he is the rigger that CS called to go
inspect my rig).

As luck would have it, due to miscommunication at my yard, my boat was
shrink wrapped the day before the rigger arrived, so he couldn't go up
the mast.  I was not present for this inspection and so without my
permission to break the shrink wrap, and without benefit of an up close
inspection, the rigger had little to offer but a theory about the cause.
He noted that my spreaders are welded onto the mast with a heavy weld (a
practice I've learned CS terminated in 8/05 according to CS; switching
to bolted on spreaders thereafter).  CS's rigger suggested that the
welds involve a raised bead or backing plate of some sort on the inside
surface of the mast cavity and the swivels sometimes hang up on these
raised surfaces.  The solution is to file down the wheel on the top of
the swivel, and that may solve the problem.

Unfortunately, the rigger's theory doesn't account for the fact that I
witnessed measurable narrowing of the slot in the mast at the location
of both spreaders.  Nor does his theory explain the fact that this
problem has gotten progressively worse at the end of each sailing
season.  Both of these observations suggest that the mast is bending
inward from the load on the spreaders.  When I pointed out these
observations to the rigger in a phone conversation last week, he didn't
disagree and he did agree to come back and meet me at the boat so I can
break the shrink wrap and let him go aloft for a closer look.  But due
to busy schedules, this will not take place until sometime next week at
the earliest.

So stay tuned.  I have not given up, and I am not imagining the
narrowing of the slot in my mast.  This rig has not been abused in any
way.  If anything, it has seen light use during its first four seasons
of existence.

I will report back after the rigger returns.

Dave Henderson
Dottie B  #1049

Message: 3