[C320-list] In Boom Furler

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Tue Oct 14 15:25:05 PDT 2008

Hello Brian,

I do not know if this will help, but here is my 2-bits worth.

Personally, I have avoided any furling system for my main sail.  Key
reason - loss of performance.  You will lose at least 20% in
performance - ugh!

Of course the key is ease of packing the main sail, but the loss of
sailing performance out weighs the gain in quick sail storage.  (note
- I opted out of the Dutchman system with my boat when I also upgraded
to a UK Gold Tape Drive Main sail with loose foot).  If loss of
performance is not an issue, then you might consider it, but other
goodies I would consider higher on the list (assuming you have not
done this yet):

* Upgrade electrical system (high amp alternator/Link System/Starting
Battery)
* Upgrade electronics
* Autoprop folding prop
* Better sails
* Inflatable safety harnesses for everyone

If racing, other goodies:
* Spinnaker set-up (kids also have fun with the Spinnaker).
* Hydraulic backstay adjuster
* New Keel (yeah I replaced my wing keel with a fin keel - A PROFOUND
performance improvement).
* Lots of racing sails

Sorry in advance if this is not the answer you want.

Best Regards,
Andrew Santangelo
#333   C320 Dawn Treader