[C320-list] In Boom Furler

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 14:02:07 PDT 2008

Hello All,

I should correct my information to indicate my data is based on
earlier models of in-boom systems and mast based furlers.  Practical
Sailor also has done a review of some of the systems out there.

For Cruising, the boom system may be fine, but I personally would have
a different purchasing priority as all of us would.

However I am not fully convinced on using either type, especially
since I race my boat.  As stated earlier, I even got rid of the
Dutchman system on my vessel.  How important was that?  In a couple of
races (approximately 68 nm each), we won or placed by minutes, sailing
slightly less than 0.1 knots faster overall than the other boat.  Of
course many factors impact this speed, but every bit counts.

Another example, on long races we do not use the furler for the
headsail even.  Instead we use the two slots (and two halyards) for
sail peels.  We clearly have a net gain in efficiency, performance and
pointing when racing.  Of course if the process is done incorrectly
then all that performance goes out the window.  I would think it would
be the same issue with the Main Sail.  I understand that the in-boom
system is different than in Mast furler, but I have heard more
negative than positive comments.    And yes we have won or placed in
many races with this scheme - and yes, it is expensive and a pain
hauling around all those sails (5 head sails, 2 mains, 4 spinnakers).

On the other hand for a convenience point of view, cruising and
occasional racing the stowable boom may work out fine and work for
you.  For me I would spend the money on the latest GPS Chart plotter
(already spent the money on the sails!).

Best Regards,
Andrew Santangelo
#333   C320 Dawn Treader