[C320-list] In Boom Furler

Amirault Family - S&B amiraults at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 15 16:30:26 PDT 2008

Andrew and all:

It is very much in line to respond to the question with alternate
destinations for my funds. You seem to have divined that I am really looking
for best overall benefit to me and mine from these additional dollars; and
that it may not be an in boom furling main.

Bear came two years ago with a Dutchman and a separate starting battery. Now
as to the Dutchman, in something like twenty race outings my crew has never
been able to get the Dutchman to work (perhaps a comment on crew discipline)
while with just my spouse and I on the water the system actually does flake
the main reasonable effectively. I never go out with the spouse when reefing
is necessary but feel that once we get Bear to bigger water the ability to
fine-reef and furl away the main may be a blessing with a crew with some
minor mobility issues that also is unwilling to helm the boat. The reefing
set up that came with Bear has been just fine for the race crew; more so
after adding blocks to the reef cringles.

Since her arrival all of the batteries have been changed to AGMs, while a
135% jib, inflatable PFDs, feathering prop and Raritan head have been added.
I confess that upgraded electronics are five years in the future when she
moves from restricted river sailing to the Great Lakes.

Your comment on upgrading electrics does strike a chord. The alternator is
original and Bear resides at a sail club without shore power to the slips. A
Honda generator has gone some way to coping with the charging issue, but
being able to complete a full charge in an hour's running sounds very
attractive. At your leisure, could you supply me with the model numbers of
the parts you had installed and the USD price (to which I can add the 40% to
bring it into line with Canadian pricing rather than the Canadian dollar)? I
would also be interested in comments you may have on installation
difficulties encountered in the upgrade that I could warn an installer about
in advance.

Bear does race JAM (poorly) during summer Thursday nights and the guys have
asked about a backstay adjustor. I have seen photos on the site of manual
solutions which I will also look into as an inexpensive and easy upgrade to
construct over the winter, as Bear's last sail of the season was this past
Saturday; with her mast coming down Monday and the hull coming out on the
following Saturday.

I have appreciated all replies, and there is much to think over as a result.

Regards;

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too