[C320-list] Blue Water Sailing

Dennis Harris dharris02 at embarqmail.com
Fri Oct 17 06:33:37 PDT 2008

I haven't read the article and would like to see it.  However, one can
predict what almost every article of this type will say.  In my opinion,
there are two things at play here.  First, in the boating community, there
is lots of snobbery, especially from brokers and magazines.  This view is
that if your boat isn't a Hinkley, Hallberg Rassy, or some other ultra
expensive boat, it's a piece of junk.....especially if it is a Catalina,
Hunter, or Beneteau (or similarly priced boat).  A boat the size of the 320,
which years ago was considered a big boat, is a starter boat, a pocket
cruiser, coastal crusier, or some other demeaning term.  And always, the
boat is deemed not to be seaworthy for blue water sailing (and the point is
always demonstrated by some overstated shortcoming).  Almost without fail,
ask these people what their boat or car is and you find most have a smaller,
piece of junk from the 1960's.  It's like saying that only a Mercedes or
Bentley is capable of driving coast to coast....just nonsense.  When they
write the articles, they have to find shortcomings, problems, and
difficulties (and overstate them).  Otherwise, who would read an article
where everything was just peachy.  It is Catalina, Hunter, and Beneteau who
bring us good, practical boats at a reasonable price.  And it is these
manufacters who allow most of us the opportunity to enjoy this sport.

The second point is that magazines are businesses built on advertising.
They need the advertising from the big boat, high priced boat crowd, so to
help sell such boats, they have to promote the fine characteristics of such
boats and somewhat down play the features of the less expensive boats.

Even with the above, I personally would prefer a somewhat bigger boat (40
ft. range) for extended offshore cruising (just to have the extra space) and
it would certainly be equipped differently than for one used in coastal
waters.  And an extremely rugged boat would be desired over a lighter built
boat (i.e. for mowing the lawn, you use a lawn tractor, not a bulldozer, but
if you are clearing a forest, you need the bulldozer).  For me, I'm not
going on such extended offshore cruising, so my C320 is just perfect for my
(and many others) needs.

Dennis Harris C320 #694