[C320-list] stripe relplacement?

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 19 22:56:44 PDT 2008

Martin, we replaced our bi-color stripes on our #62 several years ago using
the instructions that came with the new vinyl name done previously. Got the
tape from Catalina.

Used a heat gun and sharp edge (carefully,) to get lift edge on the old
tape. Once you have enough to grab, continue with the heat gun while you
slowly pull off the tape. It's much easier to do in warm weather. Too much
heat and the tape will easily break. It's time consuming. A thick layer of
old adhesive remained on the hull from much of the tape. Wipe the area well
with a solvent to remove any remaining adhesive and wax.

Make a mixture of dish detergent and water 50/50. Cut the tape to the
segment length needed plus about one inch. Remove the paper from the
adhesive side. Spray the boat and the reverse of the tape liberally. Apply
the tape without removing the top paper cover. The soapy water allows you to
easily position and reposition the tape. Press out the water when in correct
position. Use a rubber squeegee to bond the tape to the gelcoat pressing out
all the water and air bubbles. Wait until the new tape is dry before
carefully removing the top paper cover.

The tape will be almost self-aligning. Fortunately, the runs between the
lights are short enough to make it easy to do. Also, it was possible to see
where the old tape was even after removal.

We even had to patch a piece a couple of years ago. When patching, use a
small overlap rather than a butt joint. A butt joint will separate in time.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay