[C320-list] Water tank inspection cap/port

Pat Moriarty patm at psiurethanes.com
Mon Oct 20 07:06:28 PDT 2008

Don't like your theory. I had an old motor home for 12 years and if
you put water in it and used it, it was always fresh. I only drained
it if we expected a freeze. Now on the boat 1994 I flushed it real
good when we bought it and we use a lot of water so we fill the tanks
fairly often and have never had a smell and the dog always drinks
form the tank. You get very hot water from the engine heat circuit
but we call this steam cleaning the dishes and still have never had a
smell. If you have ever gotten a bad load of water or let it set so
long that it has developed an odor you should bleach it all down and
flush it good then get in the habit of using it more often so you can
keep fresher water in the tank. My two cents but with over 15 years
of practicing this it has worked for me.

Pat #130

At 01:36 AM 10/20/2008, you wrote:
>My theory on smelly hot water is that the engine heats the water to near
>180deg., way too hot for normal needs. This super hot water in a confined
>space causes some of the water to break down releasing hydrogen gas and the
>bad smell. I've developed the following habit on return to port: run hot
>water from a sink for about 5 minutes. This introduces enough cold water to
>lower the water temp enough so that the smell does not develop. It seems to
>work.
>
>I also installed a water filter just after the pump, and routinely add about
>1/4 C. bleach when filling each tank. I will drink the water even though
>there is some taste from the old plastic hoses. So far, it hasn't killed me.
>
>Warren & Pattie Updike
>Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
>Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Pat Moriarty