[C320-list] Water tank inspection cap/port

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 19 23:36:08 PDT 2008

My theory on smelly hot water is that the engine heats the water to near
180deg., way too hot for normal needs. This super hot water in a confined
space causes some of the water to break down releasing hydrogen gas and the
bad smell. I've developed the following habit on return to port: run hot
water from a sink for about 5 minutes. This introduces enough cold water to
lower the water temp enough so that the smell does not develop. It seems to
work.

I also installed a water filter just after the pump, and routinely add about
1/4 C. bleach when filling each tank. I will drink the water even though
there is some taste from the old plastic hoses. So far, it hasn't killed me.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay