[C320-list] Standing Rigging

Amirault Family - S&B amiraults at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 24 15:35:58 PDT 2008

Irv:

My own limited experience is with my previous boat, a 1981 Tanzer 8.5. I put
her in service as my first boat in the spring of 2002. Over the winter of
2004 I ordered from the local chandlery (the only source in this Canadian
location) a complete replacement of my original standing rigging. This was
upper and lower shrouds, forestay, split backstay new swage fittings and
turnbuckles. I went to the expense as I intended to race her starting in
2005 and wanted to be certain of the rig.

On delivery, the cost was 1900$ Cdn and everything was correctly sized. The
store noted that although some of the original closed-barrel turnbuckles
were showing signs of rust, they could find no problems with the original
fittings or wire. This rigging had been in fresh water only service for 23
years with the mast down every fall.

For what it is worth.

Brian Amirault

797 waltzing Bear, too