[C320-list] Standing Rigging

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 24 20:01:13 PDT 2008

Hi Irv,

I replaced the standing rigging after 12 seasons as that was how long we
left the mast up. I saved all of the old wire and will rotate the standing
rigging the next time the mast will come down which may not be for another 8
years or more.

I beefed up the lower portions of the backstay and increased the size of the
backstay turnbuckles. A friend replaced his head stay when he installed a
new furler on his 22 year old freshwater boat and ignored the rigger's
advice on also replacing the backstay. Later that same season his backstay
separated and he dismasted and lost the new furler, new head sail, the mast
and most all of his rigging that he had to release in 20 plus knots and 4-5
footers. I used the same rigger and was very satisfied with the quality of
his work and service.

All of the standing rigging and mast work ran around $3400 for all parts &
labor.

I could have gone perhaps another 8 years or more, but since I saved nearly
the cost of the replacement wire by not taking the mast up and down over the
years, I elected to go with the replacement knowing I would not take down
the mast for a long time. Yes, I have the rigger check everything out every
3 to 4 years.

We store the boat on a cradle for about 6 months and sail aggressively in
all kinds of conditions.

Rick

My-Ria
Hull 277