[C320-list] Standing Rigging

Monte B. mjbc60 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 24 20:43:43 PDT 2008

After a couple of cable changes and numerous inspections on aircraft flight
control cables that actually move and a year or two of sailing, I would
agree with Stan on standing rigging. Salt water or air greatly accelerates
corrosion in everything, including cables (standing rigging). Most failures
occur at the swage connection of cable to turnbuckle because of work
hardening at the connection and may or may not exhibit signs of corrosion. I
have owned and sailed hard several older boats with no rigging failures but
I would say that may fall under the category of those who have and those who
will. A comprehensive inspection includes pulling a rag over the length of
each cable and if it snags you have a broken strand. Look for corrosion at
all swaged connections, I.E. discoloration at the joint. Remove each cable
end and untwist the wrap at the swage connection and look for corrosion or
broken internal strands. This includes at the top of the mast. Do the unwrap
over a large radius so as not to twist and damage the cable. If none of the
impending failure signs are present you are by no means assured of no
failure, but you have ascertained that none of the warning signs are
present. Broken wire strands are the most obvious clue but corrosion at the
swage joints are the most common failures. Rust never sleeps.

Monte
Laima #620