[C320-list] Mainsail Hard to Raise/Lower

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 15:10:47 PDT 2008

I agree with the points you make, but the problems some of us are
having is with installing (raising) the mainsail at spring
commissioning, not with furling/unfurling the main during sailing.  In
our case, the 'swivel block', which the head of the sail attaches to,
is binding where it passes the spreaders as it travels up the mast
when you feed the luff bead into the track in the furling foil.
Combined with the weight of the sail, it's nearly impossible to raise
fully.  I was more concerned with snapping the main halyard, rather
than a mast failure.  I recently posted that I've spoken with a
Charleston tech rep who asked me to send the swivel block to them.
Lastly, I'm not after freebies; I just want it to work.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906