[C320-list] water heater by-pass

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:27:35 PDT 2008

I don't know where Catalina switched from clear plastic hose to the PVC;
but, perhaps it makes a difference when installing a bypass. On Warr De Mar,
#62, I think I counted 17 hose clamps in the hoses under the galley sink. My
original intention was to install two manifolds in an effort to organize
this mess and minimize the number of connections. That's how I got an
education on PVC pipe and connectors. The manifold was expensive not even
considering the cost of the various connectors, there was no viable retail
outlet, and the mfgr. wouldn't sell directly to me. I ended up just
installing a by-pass on the water heater.

The by-pass is a $24 kit containing two valves and a bypass hose. The valves
are well made of bronze (I think.)  Space is so cramped under the galley, if
I had to do it over again, I would consider pulling the heater first. The
valves replaced two plastic elbows that screw into the heater. The hose that
needed to be run over the top of the heater from one valve to the other was
not long enough. The threads on the plastic elbows were worn and probably
leaked. Plastic hose barbs screwed into the valves provided for hose
connection. There was not 1/8" to spare. Much attention was given to not
encroaching on the space for the drawer cabinet.

The bypass, some new hose, and new clamps were enough to eliminate the
leaks, and make winterizing the heater much easier. I do have to pull the
cabinet to get at the valves. Small price for easing the job.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay