[C320-list] water heater by-pass

Sail0983 at aol.com Sail0983 at aol.com
Wed Oct 29 16:01:55 PDT 2008

Don't know how much earlier Catalina made the change but my 2004 320  #983 is
plumbed with a "Whale" system. This consist of 15mm Blue (cold) and Red
(Hot) Semi-flexible hoses. When I winterize my water system at the end of the
season to remove the Hot Water Heater I remove the wooden facing and draw system
under the sink. Then I disconnect the cold water supple to the Hot Water
Heater  at the T-Fitting where the supply branches to feed the Hot Water Heater.
Next I  disconnect the Output side of the Hot Water Heater and using Whale
Fittings  connect a 15mm Jumper hose between the T-fitting where I disconnected
the supply  and the Hot Water Output hose. With this done I can not pump the
"pink" stuff  through the water system without affecting the Hot Water Heater.

To empty the Hot Water Heater, as much as possible, I connect an Air Pump  to
the Cold Water Supply input to the Hot Water Heater and open the drain (looks
 like a normal hose bib) and pump air through the Hot Water Heater until no
more  water drains out.

In the spring remember to flush the Water System with fresh water to purge
the "pink" stuff before reconnecting the Hot Water Heater to the system.

Dave Marchant
Illumination #983
Solomons, MD

In a message dated 10/29/2008 5:28:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,