[C320-list] downwind cruising sail ?

Irving Grunes igrunes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 08:05:22 PDT 2008

My opinion as to optimum luff length of an asym sail.

According to : http://www.mauriprosailing.com/sailboat-rig-dimensions.htm

The ISP measurement for the C320 is 43.6' which is the dimension from the
spinnaker halyard exit point to the deck

Since we do not have a crane, we put a knot in the halyard to drop the
halyard about 1.5 feet from the halyard exit point to keep the top of the
dousing sock off the forestay top.
Then if using a dousing sock there is another 6 inches  to a foot at the top
of the sock increasing the effective length of distance from halyard exit to
where the sail head actually attaches.

This means that the dimension of the optimum luff,  IN MY OPINION ONLY,
should be around 41' to just keep the luff off the deck at the mast base
when the sail isready to raise and after dousing. This makes the sail much
easier to start the stow into the sail bag.

The luff of our sail must be close to the ISP 43.6' dimension and it is a
bit of a nuisance with that extra 2' of sail trying to get it onto the sail
bag before lowerng the sail.

If using a crane the 43.6 feet would be easier to handle because you don't
need the extra space on the halyard, but the sail would be much easier to
handle with a 41' luff,

RE SAIL TACK
We have a block mounted on the bale of the anchor roller.
Our boat has a cunningham hook lead back to the starboard cabin top winch.

I pull a long loop (Because the cunningham hook is secured at the boom) of
that line forward essentially from the winch to about the edge of the anchor
locker. Since we have a double ended main sheet we have to remember to pull
that loop outside the mainsheet starboard block. Then tie a figure 8 knot at
the end of the line to get a three or 4 inch loop at the end.

We hoist the sail and while still doused, run its tack line through the
block and tie it to the figure 8 loop in the cunningham line, I use a
bowline knot.
Then when the sock is ready to raise, the tack line is shortened by pulling
the cunningham line into the cockpit using the winch.

This allows us to adjust the tack height from the cockpit instead of having
go up to the foredeck.

To douse the sail, we blow the tack and sheet from the cockpit, and pull
down the sock

Sorry it's a lot of words, but it seems to work.

Irv Grunes
Isle of Wight