[C320-list] downwind cruising sail ?

Charles Greenwell CGreenwell at sparusa.com
Thu Sep 11 06:27:29 PDT 2008

Here is a link to a site that makes a 320 A-Sail.  It includes the
dimensions of the sail.  I am not advocating their product however,
years ago when they were a different company, I did purchase this sail
and it works great. I also bought the ATN sock and Tacker.

http://www.thesailstore.com/catalina-asymmetrical-spinnaker-p-566.htm

With just the wife and I , we generally fly this chute to about 15
knots.  Any more than that causes panic with my first mate when dousing.

Additionally, some will say I am crazy but, we have flown this chute
very close to dead down wind.  It can be done but is not pretty.  It
requires that you add an additional sheet to the foot and use it to
rotate the sail back around the head stay while easing the line you use
for the tack (this is akin to pulling the pole back with a symmetric
chute). Yes, I know, its not a symmetrical sail, but when you need to
get somewhere this will work.

As for the foot size, in the old days A-Sails were cut to 160-165% of
the J.  Today most are cut to 180%.  This will put the foot size for the
320 at 23 feet or so.

HTH

Randy
LeBijou