[C320-list] LED lighting

Ragtime Magnuson's ragtime at gte.net
Tue Sep 30 14:06:01 PDT 2008

On Time A Weigh ( #205) I replaced my Aqua Signal bulbs with LED bulbs ( Stern, Anchor, with their white light and the Bicolor bow light with the recommended yellow bulb) from Mastlight.com.  I also replaced the lights in the forward cabin and the aft cabin all with the bayonet based bulbs. These have 18 lamps / bulbs.  the light output is great for reading and general lighting.  In the main saloon, I ordered their Festoon based replacement and found them very difficult to install because of the ragged manufactured edges.  Some time with a fine file allowed for an easier insertion. they are satisfactory for general lighting over the table, and over the galley. The perimeter lighting was not enough to make the first mate happy when reading.  I left the incandescent bulbs in place on the starboard side until I reorder the yellow color bulbs to see if they improve the light comfort. The fixtures run so much cooler, but it does take a little to adapt to the light color.

Another question for those with some legal savvy..... A seemingly knowledgeable source expressed concern that the conversion of an existing Aqua Signal fixture to an LED bulb, now makes the assembly not Coast Guard approved.   It would only be a problem in an accident situation where liability became an issue, but it does raise a question.

Gary
Time A Weigh # 205