[C320-list] Maxprop RPM v. boat speed

Jeff Church jc387 at att.net
Wed Apr 1 21:44:19 PDT 2009

Pete,

What do you have the pitch set at? You appear to be over-pitched, but I
don't have the engine specs here. Isn't the 1-hour rpm rating somewhere
around 3700? Ideally, you should be able to reach that rpm. As Larry
pointed out, the tachometer is about as accurate as the fuel gauge.
Borrow a laser tach or buy one at a hobby shop for about $20. They use
them to measure the prop speed on radio control airplanes and helicopters.

Before you change anything you should verify that the engine can reach
the no-load rpm rating. If the engine can't reach the no-load rpm, it's
time to call a diesel mechanic. If it can reach that rpm, it's time to
play with prop pitch.

PYI will tell you that rpm will change 12% for each 2 degrees of pitch.
I think the actual change that I experienced was less than that.
Unfortunately, I don't have complete records any more (sold the boat),
but I do know that when my 15" MaxProp Classic was pitched at 18 degrees
(with a heavily loaded boat), engine rpm was just a bit too low, and
maximum speed in calm seas with a clean bottom was about 7.1 knots. At
16 degrees rpm was high enough, speed was down to about 6.8 knots, and
the engine ran cooler. The downside was that the prop had a bit less
bite and boat speed suffered in rough seas. 17 degrees would have been
just about perfect, but the MaxProp Classic can only be set in 2 degree
increments. If you have the MaxProp VP, 1 degree adjustments are possible.

In any case, the correct pitch for your boat should be somewhere in that
range, but it will depend somewhat on how you use the boat. If you just
day-sail in a lightly loaded boat you will probably want to go with a
bit more pitch. If you cruise extensively with a heavily loaded boat
you'll want a bit less pitch so that the engine isn't overloaded.

Good luck.

JeffC