[C320-list] Living aboard

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Fri Apr 3 12:36:09 PDT 2009

My wife became interested in cats after we chartered one in Antigua
recently and finding they sail flat.  Not because she's faint of
heart, more because it's hard for her to prepare meals or perform
other housekeeping tasks when heeling.  We're aware of the cons; they
don't sail as close to the wind, come about, or maneuver as well
(particularly in port) as a mono.  I wouldn't have a cat without twin
engines, because of the maneuverability in port issue.  We'd
definitely need something larger than 32 feet whether cat or mono if
we're going to be liveaboards.  Regarding liveaboard in New England,
while further south makes sense, work keeps me here.  I could
transfer, but am somewhat loathe to.

Bob