[C320-list] Climbing harness vs bosun chair

dluzader dluzader at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 05:21:51 PDT 2009

The Topclimber is good for the reasons Jon describes, but a much less
expensive route is to buy a simple climbing harness from a supplier
like REI and two ascenders (Petzl is one of the brands).  Tie the
first ascender to your harness and attach the second to a foot or two
of line with a loop at one end.   Affix both ascenders to the the
climbing line and ratchet your way up using your foot in the loop.
It's probably best if you don't actually climb the halyard because the
ascenders can be a little rough.  Instead, use your halyard to raise a
static climbing line (Topclimber recommends this, as well).

If you have help, have someone trail a second halyard attached to the
harness as a safety.  When climbing on my own I always rig a second
halyard about halfway up the mast and clip on to it on the way up.  If
there's a failure of some kind, at least it cuts your fall in half.

Doug Luzader
Assignment