[C320-list] New Sails, Advice Sought

Ken Danko ken320 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 30 10:31:46 PDT 2009

I inserted comments too...

Chris Burti wrote:
> I am a bit confused by some of the comments in your reply, and as the
> discussion may be useful for others who are undecided (I'm not trying to
> talk you out of your decisions ;~)). I'll stick my comments into your text
> for simplicity.
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Ken Danko <ken320 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> Chris:
>>
>> I'm a little behind on email...Thanks for your advice. I already installed
>> the blocks on the sail to reduce friction but the problem is that the luff
>> is over tensioned when trying to get the right tension at the clew.  {OK,
>>
>> I don't follow this part... luff tension is set by the adjusting the halyard
>> after the reef is pulled in and if you need a reef, you usually require full
>> tension on the clew, so I don't see how this happens }
I set the halyard first, I marked it so I know where it should be. Then
I winch in the reefing line. I can then release some of the luff tension
by easing the halyard.

>> Plus you have to
>> use the winch and ideally someone else should push up on the boom
>>
>> {I use
>> the topping lift}.

I would have to leave the cockpit for that, either way it takes a second
person and I single hand Grace about half the time.

>> Two riggers both said that they didn't recommend hooks at the goose neck.
>> The current plan is to attach a pad eye to one side of the mast and a cleat
>> to the other side. A  low stretch line will run from the pad eye through the
>> reef cringle and over to the cleat. The existing reefing line will only
>> tension the clew from the cockpit.
>> {This pretty much how I have run our
>> reefing lines and the way it works for me with the OEM  jiffy reefing
>> system...When we bought our boat the lines were run incorrectly FWIW.}
>>
>> I just had a local metal shop fabricate a new luff gate plate, 1/8th inch
>> SS. It looks great but haven't had time to test it out while sailing, but
>> the slides don't hang up when moved by hand.      {I'd expect it to work
>> sailing if it works by hand, so you likely have a good solution}
>>
>> The problem with the dutchman (well there are a couple) is that even though
>> I have the right tension in the lines, the sail still doesn't flake
>> properly
>> { I'm not sure here...on Commitment, it isn't perfect in high
>> winds, but is far better than any jack line system that I've ever used and
>> that has been quite a few....both homemade and manufactured}.
The key thing here is that I almost always have high winds coming back
to the marina (well, at least from April through October). It was 25 kts
plus on Monday for instance.

>> To get the
>> right tension in the dutchman lines, the topping lift has to stay somewhat
>> tight which means that the sail battens get caught in it.
>> { but only
>> while dropping the sail and then they free themselves as it falls}
They get caught when tacking and when raising the sail. But they do free
themselves when they fall.
>> Plus,
>> the dutchman gets twisted and no amount of time or effort seems to be able
>> to untwist it. Right now it isn't twisted but I could go to the boat
>> tomorrow and find that over night it twisted itself...very frustrating.
>> { I
>> believe that has something to do with the way the core of the topping lift
>> line is laid. It is ugly and annoying, but so far hasn't affected
>> performance on Commitment. When I replace the topping lift, I am going to
>> try a low stretch line with a non-laid core}
I have tried everything. I have even taken the whole thing down and laid
it out carefully on the dock. It does sometimes get so twisted that the
dutchman lines wrap two or three times around the topping lift.