[C320-list] First time out and QUESTIONS!

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 1 19:08:40 PDT 2009

Wheel nut: Some wraps of Teflon tape will keep it from backing off on it's
own yet still allow you to remove it by hand when needed.  I often remove
the wheel with a gang aboard to ease the passage to the swim platform.

Charging: Shore charger should be wired separately to each house battery.
With the std. factory wiring, however, the position of the switch will
dictate which battery is being charged by the alternator.  That is why some
select "Both" when the engine is running.  Check with me at the marina and
I'll show you what I've changed.

Engine cool down: I don't think it's a problem for us given the run into the
marina.  By the time you navigate up the creek and into the slip, the engine
will have cooled down from any previous hard run.  I've extended the air
intake in the engine compartment to the front of the engine so I get a
better air flow to the exhaust.  Also, I wired the blower to the hot side of
the engine switch so I can run it after the engine shuts down.  This helps
to chase out much of the heat from the engine rather than have it leak into
out mattresses.  I run the blower whenever the engine is running.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay