[C320-list] First time out and QUESTIONS!

Taylor Devlin tdevlin944 at msn.com
Sun Aug 2 14:05:23 PDT 2009

We are very interested to read this thread.  We too are experiencing some
'not very pretty' returns to our slip.  We are pretty inexperienced sailors,
and are getting to know the foibles of our 320, which is our first boat.
Only recently we worked out that reversing in neutral was a lot easier than
under reverse power.  Our slip is pretty tight, and requires a 90 deg right
turn followed by an immediate 90 left to get in.  An important lesson came
our way yesterday.  A friend was on dock and offered to help.  We threw him
the bow line expecting to deal with the aft spring ourselves.  He pulled
tightly on the line and of course I lost the stern.  I had no idea how to
correct things so we backed out and left the fairway to try again.  More
successful this time.  Sometimes it might be best to say no thanks to a
helping hand.

May I ask about batteries?  When is it best to select BOTH?  I start on 1
and use 2 for house purposes, so why would I go to BOTH?

Happy sailing and docking!

Taylor and Louise Devlin
ESCAPE
2003 320 #938