[C320-list] Help with salt

David Marecek David.Marecek at ca.fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 17 07:46:21 PDT 2009

Having always sailed on salt water, rust will start wherever there are 2
dissimilar metals  or there is a slight space for salt water to get into
to.  Salt water is a reasonable electrolytic, so it starts a reaction
wherever it touches something

There are different issues to consider with different solutions.

1. Stainless steel that starts to rust needs the oxidation layer
restarted.  Be careful with cleaners and acids as they strip away the
oxidation layer on stainless and make it worse.  Same for wax, it covers
the oxidation layer which encourages rust.  There are some commercial
products that work, however low cost I have used for years is household
Vinegar.  When applied with a tooth brush, it removes the rust and
reactivates the oxidation that stops the rust. I generally touch up all
weld joints and any other spot that accumulates water in the fall and
spring

2. Nuts and Bolts all over. Rust will start when salt water gets into
the threads. Solution  I have found is to  liberally spray every single
nut and bolt and screw topside with a  rust penetrant and protector.  I
use an environmentally friendly product that is used for  commercial
trucks and  agriculture equipment that I buy in the local HW store. If
you want expensive you can get the type used for aircraft This removes
rust, but more importantly creates a barrier in the threads that repels
water which will stop the rusting permanently.  I give the boat a heavy
dose in the fall before winter and then a light dose in the spring.
Just ensure you have a rag with you to protect fiberglass etc and wipe
up excess

Hope this helps