[C320-list] Knot meter cleaning.... In water?

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sat Aug 22 20:13:58 PDT 2009

Brad,

Here is some info on this unit.

1) A few paper towels are all you should need to clean up what comes in.

2) As mentioned, there is a dummy plug that is the same as the paddle wheel plug (except has a no paddle wheel on the end).  Both plug and paddle wheel should (usually) have a large SS ring attached to the top to help with removal/install. I have mine both attached to a cord to keep them near each other in the floor compartment.

3) Note that both the plug and paddle wheel have a triangle arrow on top which should point towards the bow when installing.  This is important since it will only seat fully in this orientation.

4) There is a large plastic locking ring around the outside that you unscrew to free/secure the wheel/plug.

Removal Procedure:

Press down on the paddle wheel and unscrew the locking ring.

with the plug in one hand (arrow forward) and the paddle wheel in the other,  pull out the paddle wheel and install the plug in a gentle unhurried way.  Only a small amount of water will enter.  It remains in this bilge compartment and is easy to dry up.

Reverse the procedure once the wheel is cleaned up.

I suggest keeping both the locking ring and the pair of O-Rings on the plug and paddle wheel lubed with O Ring lube to make removal/reinstall easy.

You'll be surprised what a non-issue this process is.  Hope this helps.

 -JeffH