[C320-list] Knot meter cleaning.... In water?

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Sun Aug 23 12:53:11 PDT 2009

If you are cruising the knotmeter isn't that essential, but if you are
racing or trying to maximize your speed through the water then the knotmeter
is the only speed instrument to use if there is any current to speak of at
all.

I the transducer out after each time sailing and replace it with the plug
that was provided for that purpose.  Even then sometimes it will become
stuck, like on the second day of a two day regatta or when anchoring out.
When this happens I have found that I can usually restore normal operation
by unscrewing the locking cap and pulling the transducer partially out, but
not completely out of the hull fitting.  There will be a short surge of
water up around the transducer that is usually sufficient to knock off any
critter that may be lurking on the transducer and at the same time much less
water is let into the boat than when I take the transducer completely out
and put in the plug.

Larry
WindSwept C320 #246