[C320-list] Knot meter cleaning.... In water?

Bruce Stumpp bstumpp at comcast.net
Sun Aug 23 12:56:20 PDT 2009

Brad,

I no longer use the knotmeter because of the fowling and just use the speed
on our chartplotter or GPS.  If you are going to occassionally pull your
knotmeter for cleaning I would offer one additional thought  A couple of
years ago we were decommissioning our boat and getting ready to haul it for
the winter. When I pulled the knotmeter a piece of some material got lodged
in the opening and stuck by by the anit-leak device..I couldn't release it
nor could I get the plug all the way down into lock position but could get
it down far enough to stop the water.  So I installed the plug as far as it
would go and held it down with duct tape. It was late on a Sunday evening
and the marina office was closed so the boat couldn't be hauled right then.
I went home and hoped the tape would hold until morning.  Well, the tape
held and the boat was hauled the next morning without sinking.  My lesson
was to only pull the knotmeter when the marina is open - just in case.

BTW, always pull the knotmeter before having it hauled to land because the
crane straps could damage the wheel and then you will have to install a new
wheel in the knotmeter. I can't recall what the wheel costs but believe they
are in the $25+ range.

Bruce Stumpp
#647, Adventure
Frog Mortar Creek, MD