[C320-list] Re Batteries & Fridge

Jack McDonough mcdonough5 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 26 07:52:35 PDT 2009

Irv:

I always start the engine on Both (or ALL), to make certain I have enough
juice to get it  going. Then I switch to either 1 or 2. I don't understand
what you mean when you say to switch to 1 or 2 after you STOP  the engine.
Why not switch while it's running? Once it's stopped, what difference does
it make which battery setting you're on unless you're running refrigeration
or lights or something else?

I have discussed this battery subject over the years with any number of boat
owners and yacht yard personnel. I have learned that
(1) it's OK to run it on All; (2) It's not wise to run it on All; (3) It's
OK to switch batteries while the engine is running (but, of course, don't
turn it to Off.); (4) Everything in 1, 2 and 3 is right. (5) Everything in
1,2 and 3 is wrong. In other words, ask 10 people and you'll get 10
different answers.

On a totally different subject, am I the only 320 owner on the planet whose
boat is on a mooring? Everyone else on this 320 website seems to be at a
slip.

jack