[C320-list] Value of this forum

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:28:25 PDT 2009

The cable clamp in the engine compartment is to hold the cable firmly to the
plate. I don't believe it is intended to tension the cable. Doing so just
puts added wear at the point.

There is an adjusting bolt on the shaft of the engine controls inside the
binnacle below the compass the purpose of which is to tension the control.
It is not a big deal to remove the compass. Put tape across the joints, mark
with a pen, and slice the tape at the joints. That way, you can be assured
of reinstalling the compass with the same alignment.

Edson recommends periodic lubrication of the chain and other points inside
the binnacle so while in there to adjust the controls do the maintenance.

The Edson Maintenance Guide is available on their web site. Also, you can
call them.  They also provide special e-mails and web specials for Catalina
owners.  Check it out.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay