[C320-list] Seating Chain Plates

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 7 03:47:25 PST 2009

To: Pat Kenefick, Hull 833, Bath, NC

Pat e-mail me off list and I'll send you Chris Burti's rather detailed list
of steps in rebedding chain plates. I'm guessing that with your hull no. you
won't have an issue with the cored deck.

Here is an approach I've used for a neat finish. After you remove the deck
plate, remove the old caulk from the deck, lay some masking tape around the
deck and over the edge of there the plate lies. Now, replace the deck plate
and with a knife, lightly score the tape around the edge of the plate.
Remove the plate and peel up the tape that was under the plate. When you
caulk and replace the deck plate, let the caulk squeeze out from under the
plate and cure for a day. Score the caulk around the plate and remove the
excess caulk and the tape.  Clean job, no caulk left on the deck.

Warren & Pattie Updike

Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"

Middle River, Chesapeake Bay