[C320-list] New Cruising Mailsail

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Mon Feb 9 18:28:27 PST 2009

Bruce,

You have identified a hobby of hard core racers and professional
racers - getting new sails all the time!

America's cup racers are using very specialized hybrid sails, seeking
optimal conditions and investing many millions of dollars in their
campaign for the pride of winning and bringing a billion in business
for their community.  Very different issues, conditions, etc.

I have UK Gold Tape Drive sails (Main, Genoa and JIb) and a UK Light
Air Spectra Genoa.  I treat my sails the same that I have treated my
cruising sails and have not had a problem in 8-10 years.

The genoa is furled and is in great condition, and even has been used
partially furl in a heavy breeze.

I sail extensively (except for last summer) and the sails have been
hoisted, reefed, dropped and everything in between.  Sails are in
great shape.

Sails have also flogged many times when in irons (such as lowering or
raising sails).  The laminates are in great shape.

I would also say the main has been hoisted over 100 times easily - and
it is in great shape.

Now would my UK dealer love to sell me new sails - you bet.  Do I need
them?  No.  Two years ago I placed second in my division in the
Queen's Cup.  The sails did very well (so did the crew and systems of
the boat, etc).   The sails are still stiff and do quite well during
cruising and racing.  The only damage to the sail has been related to
the radar, but that issue has been resolved.  Oh, the cruising
spinnaker has battle scars, but  functions well still.

With the lighter sails it is also easy for the crew, and the junior
crew (i.e. my kids) to work with the sails.

I cannot speak for other brands, but I have gotten a lot of miles out
of my UK Gold Sails and they definitely have more years left in them.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Andrew

C320 "Dawn Treader"