[C320-list] New Cruising Mailsail

Mon Feb 9 19:09:04 PST 2009

Larry,

That UK Tape Drive Passagemaker II is exactly what I ordered last May for my 440....it is a great sail!! You will love the performance
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "Larry Frank" [WindSwept at stx.rr.com]
Sent: 02/09/2009 09:02 PM CST
To: <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] New Cruising Mailsail

Jeff,

I have been watching Andrew's responses with great interest as I just
ordered a UK Passagemaker II Tape Drive 135.  I believe it is more of a
cruising sail than the UK Gold as it has a padded luff and reinforcements on
the luff and foot where the stresses build up when using the sail partially
furled.

Mine is being built out of Mylar and Pentex Tapes.  Mylar is the polyester
polymer that is in Dacron.  Dacron is a polyester cloth and Mylar is a
polyester film.  The tape material, Pentex is also very similar to
polyester.  The entire sail is supposed to have similar durability to
Dacron.

There are many materials used in laminated sails and some of these high tech
materials wouldn't take as well to luffing.  Below is a link to a table on
the UK website that gives some physical properties of these materials.

There is a lot of good information on the UK website.

Larry
WindSwept 320 #246

http://www.ukhalsey.com/LearningCenter/encyclopedia/encyclopedia2.asp#fiber