[C320-list] Stuffing box flax

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 20:32:25 PST 2009

Tim-On my 2002 boat the exact measurement is 1/4." I used various drill bits
to measure the space between the shaft and the inside of the outer tube.  I
used 1/4" GFO and it allowed only 2 wraps of packing.  After a season I was
able to get another ring in.  Initially only a few drops of leakage which
amounted to no more than a tablespoon of water when motoring for a hour.
Shortly thereafter is was drip free.

This is the best $15 investment made on the boat.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894