[C320-list] Heating

Julian Elliott jelliott at landspring.net
Wed Jan 7 10:26:26 PST 2009

I am considering a diesel or propane heating system for Polaris for comfort
when on the hook.  High end is to install a Webasto or Espar central system
with multiple vents ($4-6K in Canada). Much less expensive is to install a
direct vent heater such as Dickenson Marine or Force 10.  These units would
be located in the cabin and have an exhaust "chimney" venting to the cabin
top.   I have seen these installed in larger boats and trawlers, and look
reasonably good with the right placement.

What do you cold-weather sailors recommend?  Does anyone use the Dickenson
(popular in Canada)?  Where did you install it?  I cannot envision a spot in
the C320 that is not obtrusive.  I hear Webasto is more reliable than Espar.
Any comments?  Any other ideas?    (I've already rejected carrying a 5-mile
long extension cord on the boat!)

Thanks,

Julian Elliott