[C320-list] Magnum Charger/Inverters..any comments?

crashley at gte.net crashley at gte.net
Thu Jan 15 09:26:50 PST 2009

Brian,
For some reason this message was on my iPhone but not on my computer so I
had to forward it to myself to send a response. (I prefer to use a real
keyboard as opposed to typing a large message on the iPhone).
At any rate, in July 2008 I installed a Magnum MMS1012 (1000W) pure sinewave
inverter/charger after previously purchasing a Xantrex Freedom Marine 20
(2000W) inverter/charger. I found that the Xantrex unit did not fit where
the standard C320 charger is located in the port cockpit storage locker. I
contemplated  locating the Xantrex unit under the port settee but realized I
would have to significantly alter the large gauge wiring to the batteries
which are under the starboard settee. It was going to be difficult (cutting
holes and such in the bilge area) to install some 0-gauge cables from the
battery to the inverter/charger. Jack Rabbit Marine was good enough to
accept the returned Xantrex unit and provide with a full refund, less my
shipping cost. The Magnum unit fits where the old charger was and now I have
a 1000W pure sinewave inverter to boot. It turns out the Xantrex Freedom
series is not a pure sinewave inverter but a modified sinewave inverter
which is not quite as good for some AC loads. Of course it is a 2000W as
opposed to a 1000W unit. But I digress.
I am satisfied with the Magnum unit so far. It has an advanced, temperature
compensated battery charger, which is the main reason I upgraded it after I
installing the AGM batteries. I had heard some bad reports about Pro Mariner
charger that came with the boat and it was also not temperature compensated.
I haven't used the inverter feature much but it does seems to work fine. I
also highly recommend getting the ME-RC remote control for the unit as it
allows you to program and control the MMS1012 and has a digital readout and
several status indicators.
I have posted pictures and diagrams of the Magnum unit installation on the
C320 IA site. Here is a link that should work. If not it is on the 5th page
of the Technical Gallery entitled "Added Starting Battery, Charger /
Inverter, and Balmar Alternator (19)".

CR Ashley
Rosebud C320 Hull #882

http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=8&page=1