[C320-list] Magnum Charger/Inverters..any comments?

Amirault Family - S&B amiraults at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 11 14:19:02 PST 2009

Just got home from a weekend in Toronto at the boat show. Went to see the
C375 twice but refused to tack on to the end of the long line of viewers
awaiting access. Good for Catalina.

The purpose of the trip was to generally bring a little sailing life into a
cold winter season, and to specifically research solutions for the coming
summer's electrics upgrade on Bear. I am expecting quotes on a Balmar 60
series 100 amp alternator, harness and regulator. The original plan was to
get quotes on a Xantrex Prosine charger/inverter. In the process of doing
this I was introduced to products from Magnum Energy. I was not aware of
this company.

Xantrex has been a Canadian company (only recently sold to a French firm)
featuring designs the manufacture of which have been contracted off-shore to
China. Magnum is a US company doing its manufacture in the USA.  I have
always been a supporter of 'buy Canadian', but have to think twice when the
competition is Chinese manufacturing vs American know-how. Has anyone on the
list used any Magnum products and could make a comment?

Regards;

Brian Amirault

797 waltzing Bear, too