[C320-list] C320 MKII ladder & safety

David Gleason djgleason1 at juno.com
Mon Jan 26 12:34:41 PST 2009

Orlander:

When sailing single handed,, I ALWAYS am attached to the boat via a
lanyard attached to the mast or jack lines.  The lanyard is long enough
that I am able to reach a trailing line with grab loops in it to pull
myself back to the stern of the boat.  However, with a boat moving at 3+
MPH, the resistance against your body is really strong.  The faster you
are sailing, the greater the strain.  This is something to play with when
conditions are light.  The first time I jumped in, at anchor, in front of
the shrouds, I found that the lanyard was not long enough to allow me to
reach the stern of the boat.  I would have been beating myself up against
the side of the hull.  I made the lanyard longer and then had to add the
trailing line to grab ahold of if I went overboard behind the shrouds, as
I was too far away to be able to grab anything.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:39:52 -0800 Orlando.Duran at AveryDennison.com
writes:
> [...]
> lower
> any ladder..
>
> My strategery has always been to stay IN the boat.. :)
>
> OD
>

>              David J Gleason
>
>              <djgleason1 at juno
>
>              .com>
>              Sent by:                 C320-List at Catalina320.com
>
>              c320-list-bounce
>   cc
>              s at lists.catalina         C320-List at Catalina320.com
>
>              320.com
> Subject
>                                       Re: [C320-list] C320 MKII
> ladder &
>                                       safety
>
>              01/26/2009 08:14
>
>              AM
>

>               Please respond

>              C320-List at Catali
>
>                 na320.com
>

> Wayne:
>
> I have done some single handed sailing and the thought of  not being
> able
> to lower the ladder from the water has always bothered me.  I have
> thought of tying the ladder up with yarn that could be broken with a
> good
> pull.  However I then need to run a line across the access opening
> so as
> not to fall backward out of the cockpit.
>
> If you could describe the arrangement you use, I would appreciate
> it.
> Photos would be a great help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Gleason
> Proud Mary, #150
>
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:04:05 -0800 (PST) Wayne Strickland
> <nadowayne at yahoo.com> writes:
> > Ladder deployment if in the water and not having a mate onboard,
> was
> > a concern of mine.  I attached lines to the latches and to the
> > ladder and they can easily be reached while in the water.  The
> lines
> > release the ladder and pull it down to the water.
> > Safety is a good thing.
> >
> > Wayne Strickland
> > Wayne's World 594
> > Coronado, CA.
> >
> > On Jan 23, 2009, at 7:27 AM, Sail0983 at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > While I don't like it I think the advantage is that it can be
> > deployed by
> > someone in the water.
> >
> > Dave Marchant
> > Illumination #983
> > Solomons, MD
> >

> > In a message dated 1/23/2009 8:23:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> > bcampbell at valp.net writes:
> >
> > What's  up with the cheap stern boarding ladder on the new boats?
> > Even the
> > C375 has  it and they don't seam to be very user  friendly.
> >

> > **************From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in
> > between, stay
> > up-to-date with the latest news.
> > (http://aol.com?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000023)

> Feel like a winner with great prices on a huge selection of

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw16KuSZzFyrcJD6JVUlYjGpO
fV7j0XE8mWtxcA348WXXetya/