[C320-list] C320 MKII ladder & safety

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Mon Jan 26 09:30:34 PST 2009

Hello All,

I find this an interesting discussion and I have some questions/
comments:

* If sailing single handed or at night, all crew on "Dawn Treader" is
required to be tethered to the boat - no ifs, ands, or buts.  Plus we
require anintegrated inflatable safety harness with emergency kit be
worn. This kit includes marine strobe, whistle, mirror and small flash
light.  This season will be adding electronic beacons.

* We use the life sling system on our boat for rescue and recovery.

* We avoid the ladder unless it is relatively calm.  The ladder can be
like a spear in the water when there are waves.

Thus, if some one falls in the water untethered and we have a crew, we
use the life sling system.  If tethered we may use a combination of a
safety line and the life sling hoist.  We avoid the ladder unless
things are relatively calm.

I do recommend couples and people with crew pretend someone went over
board and do a practice drill.  If you have not done it before you
will find the experience quite illuminating.

Also on single handing - make sure you are in shape.  I believe a
couple of years ago a single handed sailor died on Lake Michigan.  In
steep seas he fell over board, but was tethered.  The problem was he
was I believe around 300 lbs and could not pull himself back up.  I
believe he died from cardiac arrest and/or hypothermia.  Note, the
ladder would have failed in this case since the seas were around
6'-8'.  Much too dangerous to board a ladder in these conditions, let
alone lowering a ladder. I would instead have hand holds or grab lines
around the vessel to reboard when tethered and single handed.   BTW -
the boat did beach itself (a C380) and was completely functional and
was refloated without a problem.

Lastly, I have never had a man-overboard situation.  BUT, I am
convinced the minute I get rid of my safety systems, an event will
happen.

Best Regards,
Andrew
C320 "Dawn Treader"